Understanding control solutions
The control solution that came with your monitor is a special solution with a specific amount of glucose used to measure the accuracy of blood glucose meters and test strips.
Use Rightest Control Solution to do a control test in the following situations:
- When you first receive your meter, you’ll need to confirm that it works correctly by doing a control test.
- To practice testing steps and make sure you are doing them right.
- If you’ve dropped your meter or it has possibly been damaged.
- If your meter got wet.
- If your test strips or meter sat in a hot and humid environment, like your car.
- If you suspect your meter or test strips are providing inaccurate readings.
- When you open a new batch of test strips.
- For any reason that you think your readings are off or inaccurate.
Before you do a control solution test:
You need the iGlucose Meter, iGlucose Test Strips, and the Control Solution.
Make sure to indicate the date you opened your control solution on the bottle. The solution lasts for 3 months or until it expires, whichever occurs first. Keep the solution bottle cap clean after each use and store it with a tightly closed cap.
You will use the cap of the solution to apply the solution to the test strip. For instructions, see item 7.
To do a control test:
- Go to “Settings” by pressing the triangle icon.
- Go to “Control Solutions” option 4 and press "Home.”
- The screen displays “Control solution only, do not test blood.”
- Remove a test strip and close the cap.
- Insert the strip with the colored side facing you into the strip port until it clicks. The screen will display “Strip Inserted.”
- When the “Control Solution Drop” icon and the words “Apply a drop of control solution” appear, apply 1 drop of solution. You have 120 seconds to do this.
- Shake bottle. Take the cap off and put it on the table or counter. Put a drop of the solution in the well on top of the cap. Take the meter and turn it upside down so that the port of the test strip touches the liquid in the top of the cap. Do not touch the tip of the solution cap—clean it with wet tissue and dry it if you do.
- Your meter will show your results in 5 seconds.
- Compare your result to what is on the strip vial.
- Clean the solution cap with a wet tissue and dry it completely. Tighten cap.
- Take the strip and throw it away.
Why is my test result outside of the range printed on the solution bottle?
If your control test result is outside the specified control range, you should check the following:
- Have your strips or solution expired? Discard any expired items and repeat the test with new, unexpired supplies. Also, test strips are sensitive to temperature and humidity. They remain stable in temperatures between 39 and 86 degrees F with 10-90 percent humidity. Don’t store them near heat.
- Confirm that the testing environment's temperature and humidity are within the meter's specified range.
- Replace the cap and tighten it.
- Always shake up the solution before use.
- Verify that you are using the Rightest Control Solution brand and have followed the testing procedure accurately.
If you continue to experience out-of-range results after addressing these factors, contact the iGlucose Diabetes Customer Support Center at 1-844-445-8267.